Consultancy services for development of regulations, revenue arrangements, and technical requirements for private sector renewable energy mini-grids in Kenya
MoEP | Ministry of Energy and Petroleum of Kenya
The services provided by TTA and its partner ECA, involved the evaluation of current policy and regulatory framework for private sector renewable energy mini-grids in Kenya, as well as, a procurement approach, and service standards. Work included development of new regulations, revenue arrangement, business model analysis, institutional arrangement, cost analysis, financial compensation arrangements, review and definition of technical requirements (including guidelines).
Capacity Development in Renewable Energy Policy and Mapping in Belize – Basis for rural community electrification – Priority Setting
EU Energy Partnership PDF on behalf of the MPSEPU | Belize Ministry of Public Service Energy and Public Utilities
2015 - 2016
The overall purpose of the Technical Assistance was to enhance the capacity of the Ministry of Energy, Science & Technology and Public Utilities in order to support it in the development of an effective policy and strategy framework for renewable energy.
TTA was responsible of the Rural Electrification component of the project related to the “Capacity Development in Renewable Energy Policy and Mapping in Belize”. It involved determining and providing to MESTPU a strategy to prioritize off-grid electrification projects in Belize, including the development of a priority-setting tool and field trips for technical, economic and social assessments; also mapping of unserved rural communities and coordination of on-grid and off-grid electrification efforts with the utility BEL.
Hybridization of existing diesel-powered regional grids – technical requirements and economic viability assessment
Frankfurt School of Finance & Management GmbH (on behalf of SIEMENS / UNEP / IRENA)
2013 - 2014
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) and Siemens AG aimed at assessing the economic viability of hybridizing self-contained diesel-powered electricity grids with clean energy technologies in several countries worldwide.
Within this mandate, at the selected most suitable locations for such hybridization in the countries targeted an in-depth analysis of the off-grid plants was done. Based on this analysis, the technical impact of a PV-hybridization was modeled and the associated investment costs were determined.
CEDRO Technical Back-stopping for the CEDRO Programme
UNDP | United Nations Development Programme – Líbano
2008 - 2012
programme involves developing the use of Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency in three regions undergoing reconstruction. Trama TecnoAmbiental (TTA) provides all technical assistance services as well as conducting training and capacity-building activities in accordance with the objectives of the programme, which are:
- To improve and secure 24-hour per day electricity access for public facilities (hospitals, schools, municipalities, etc.).
- To increase the energy efficiency of public buildings through demand-side management analysis.
- To develop training and capacity building plans.
- To implement approximately 60 pilot installations in the three target regions using all relevant technologies. Through the systems installed in hospitals and schools, there has been a reduction of between 60% and 70% in the consumption of diesel used for supplying hot water.
- To monitor and evaluate the installations after implementation.
Programa EUROSOLAR: instalación de kits de producción de energía
CYMI | Control y Montajes Industriales / EuropeAid
2009 - 2011
The EURO-SOLAR Programme is a pioneer initiative of the European Commission Cooperation Office (EuropeAid). The main objective of the Programme is to promote renewable energy as a driving force for human development in the 8 most disadvantaged countries in Latin America: Bolivia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Paraguay and Peru.
The Programme included the installation of 600 energy production kits that were 100% based on renewable sources and composed of PV panels and, in some cases, of an auxiliary wind generator. The final beneficiaries of the Programme and future owners of the kits are estimated to be more than 300,000 people from 600 rural communities that are currently not connected to the electricity grid.
In Bolivia: in collaboration with local company ENERGÉTICA, solar and wind energy generation systems were installed in 59 schools (1.1 kWp of PV and 300 W of wind per installation).
Trama TecnoAmbiental also trained the managers in charge of the equipment installed in the schools and will maintain the systems during the first 3 years of operation.
In Paraguay: in collaboration with local company CEDESOL, solar energy generation systems were installed in 34 schools (1.1 kWp per installation). Trama TecnoAmbiental also trained the managers in charge of the equipment installed in the schools.
Consultancy for the evaluation of renewable energy resources and the creation of an Action Plan for their promotion
Mercados Energéticos EMI / contrato con el PNA/Banco Mundial
2010 - 2011
The specific objective of this consultancy was to conduct a study of the sources of renewable energy available in Palestine, to determine their feasibility and associated costs. The study included the elaboration of feed-in tariffs for the different selected technologies, as well as the writing of proposed regulations for the sector.
Finally, an Action Plan was established according to the objectives of the PNA for the development of each technology, determining actions and responsible organizations for an established period.
The renewable technologies analyzed were:
- Large scale PV systems.
- Small scale PV systems.
- Concentrated solar power (CSP) systems.
- Large scale wind systems.
- Small scale wind systems.
- Systems for urban waste recovery.
- Biogas system using animal waste.
TTA provided the following services:
- Evaluation of the country’s renewable energy resources.
- Characterization of typical installations for each technology according to the country’s characteristics.
- Technical study of energy production for each technology.
- Financial study to determine the energy generation cost for each technology.
- SWOT analysis for the promotion of renewable energy.
- Recommendations for government and the private sector to help achieve the country’s renewable energy objectives.
Crecer con energía (Growing with energy) – “Linking income-generating activities and micro-enterprises with Energy Services for the Poor in the Chaco Region”
Programa IEE - Coopener - Comisión Europea
2006 - 2008
The objective of this project was to strengthen the experience and energy-related knowledge of the rural development, agricultural and micro-finance sectors of the relevant Paraguayan and Bolivian Administrations in the Chaco region. The work team included four European consultants, two Paraguayan partners and three Bolivian partners. Trama TecnoAmbiental led the work phase consisting of the development of an Electrification Planning Tool in the Chaco, to be adopted by the relevant Administrations in Paraguay and Bolivia.
The activities carried out by TTA were:
- A study of technical and institutional needs for the planning of electrification in the Chaco.
- Development of a Planning Tool (EPT).
- Development of Demand Management Guidelines.
- Participation in National and Regional Workshops with key actors.
Wind-diesel generation systems for 10 islands of the Chiloé archipelago
GEF-PNUD-CNE / Chile
2007 - 2008
The projected consisted of:
- A study of wind resources and analysis of alternatives.
- The complete, detailed design of 3 architectural structures for modular hybrid generation systems incorporating the use of wind resources as a primary energy source for each of the islands. The systems were stratified according to demand levels and adapted for 10 islands (9 systems).
- The preparation of tender documentation, including terms of reference for the construction phase of the hybrid generation plants for each of the 9 systems, as well as of the electricity distribution grid, including technical specifications and plans, and socio-economic evaluations.
Autonomous and grid-connected photovoltaic installation project
Fábrica del Sol - Futur Sostenible, Barcelona
2000 - 2003
This building, which formerly housed the Barcelona offices of Catalana de Gas and was donated to the Barcelona Municipal Council, was the object of a reform and transformation in both the formal/structural sense as well as in terms of energy, in accordance with sustainability criteria. It currently has a permanent exhibition on the ground floor, and offices of various associations on the first floor. In addition to an evacuated tube solar thermal collector, a biomass boiler and an absorption pump for heating and cooling, the building has two photovoltaic installations, one autonomous and one grid-connected. Both installations serve demonstrative purposes as well as producing electricity for the building itself. The installations are accessible to members of the public on guided visits.
All complementary equipment (batteries, regulators, inverters, monitoring, etc.) is on display and sign-posted.
The solar array is oriented towards the south. The shadow of the old chimney adjacent to the building causes some inevitable losses from an energy perspective, but attempts have been made to minimise these effects through a system of double wiring for the summer period and another for the winter.
The grid-connected installation has a power of 5,440 Wp, and the autonomous photovoltaic installation of 2,805 Wp. The latter powers various lighting circuits in the building.